Pictured is a statue of the Virgin Mary and the child Jesus which was photographed atop a tree stump with a tree in the background at Gethsemani Abbey. Jaime Andrade, an artist from Quito, Ecuador created the sculpture in mahogany. Merton had commissioned the statue for the Gethsemani novitiate while serving as novice master. Merton and Andrade exchanged at least 26 letters ranging from a discussion about the commissioned sculpture, art, Latin American cuture, and politics. The sculpture was commissioned in 1958 and delivered in 1959.